Job title: Engineer
Reports to: Engineering Manager
Line manages: No line management responsibility
Location: Bristol & Bath Science Park
IAAPS is a world-leading centre of excellence supporting the transport industry in the transition to net zero with the development and validation of clean, efficient and affordable zero carbon propulsion technologies. Our recently commissioned, purpose-built facility located at the Bristol & Bath Science Park encompasses 11,000 sqm of state-of-the-art research and test cells with vast collaboration space and offices. The exceptional quality of the work we do at IAAPS and the service we provide to all our stakeholders is part of who we are – there’s no room for ‘good enough’. The work we do spans automotive, aerospace and marine industries with multiple fuel source (soon to include green hydrogen) capability and extensive HV Power.
As an Engineer, you will work on a variety of different sized projects across IAAPS, which means you will have multiple responsibilities involving:
- Developing effective cross-functional relationships and collaborations to build and maintain a high-performance team environment.
- Day-to-day operation of the facilities to include specification of the test piece setup and running tests on state-of-the-art test cells.
- Defining and developing research and testing plans.
- Defining and configuring instrumentation to ensure accurate operation throughout the research project.
- Generating simulation models, test cycles and conducting experimental campaigns.
- Ensuring accurate, timely, high-quality data from rigs and simulation activity is provided to the project team.
- Data processing and data interpretation, ensuring data accuracy, reliability and quality.
- Writing and presenting of technical reports to customer representatives, which will include conducting background research.
- Providing day-to-day support, advice, and guidance to members of the team working on projects.
- Playing a key role in leading technical discussions and decisions on projects.
- Liaising with customer representatives to discuss test requirements and results.
What do you need?
- Engineering degree in a relevant subject, typically Mechanical/Electrical/Automotive/Design The wide range of projects requires multiple disciplines and expertise.
- Experience in a research and/or a development environment would be beneficial, ideally electrified powertrain systems, combustion systems and/or system components.
- Able to demonstrate basic understanding of one or more of the following areas: Hybrid systems, Electric motors and drives, Internal Combustion Engines, Transmissions and driveline, Turbomachinery, Battery design and Management, Fuel Cells, Propulsion System Simulation (1D and/or 3D), Alternative fuels (Hydrogen, E-Fuels, Bio-Fuels)
- Understanding and ensuring implementation of appropriate legislative and IAAPS standards, as well as industry best practice for test facility operation.
- Demonstrated knowledge of company and customer confidentiality agreements to maintain the security of company and customer property.
- Experience of data acquisition systems and knowledge of instrumentation for component health monitoring.
- Advanced data processing and analysis experience using recognised software.
- Experience of test rig control system operation and function is desirable.
- Strong analytical skills; keen to learn and understand problems and failures
- Ability to work within a matrix structure, building and maintaining successful working collaborations across IAAPS.
- Good communication and relationship-building skills; ability to adapt personal style to different audiences, provide feedback, influence, and challenge effectively.
- Ability to work collaboratively to develop solutions to technical challenges; willing to contribute to sharing ideas, engaging others in discussions and problem solving.
- A flexible approach to work, with the ability to seek out opportunities to engage in learning, and meaningful development.
- Ability to manage competing demands and deadlines; comfortable and able to act on initiative and deliver outside of your role to achieve results for the team.